when a boy from the Bronx met the farmer’s daughter and they decided to start dairy farming together in 1949, and there began Freund's Farm.
7 decades later, the 2nd and 3rd generations of our farm family manage 3 farm businesses.
The Freund's Farm Inc. dairy team cares for the cows that provide the manure that we form into CowPots which are then used at our family's retail store, Freund's Farm Market & Bakery to grow the produce and flowers that our farm and community enjoys all summer! This synergy is key to our sustainability.
We send a biannual newsletter to all of our neighbors and invite you to follow our farming adventures:
Animal care is part of our dairy farm's sustainability, here's why.
How dairy farmers care for their land and the environment
Beyond the farm, dairy is an important part of sustainable nutrition, locally and globally.
How and when we use dairy in our own farmhouse is part of our family's sustainable food choices.
The dairy farm team cares for our herd of Holstein cows by using the newest technologies, including Lely milking robots and rumination collars which track each cow's activity, like Fitbits. These investments are part of our mission to be a sustainable farm at Freund's Farm.
We work closely with our dairy nutritionist and veterinarian to ensure that our animals have a complete and balanced diet. We grow all of the forages to feed our 300 milking cows supplemented by grains and minerals. Animal health and nutrition is an important component to our sustainability.
Our farm participates in the National Dairy FARM Program, a 3rd party verifiable animal well-being program.
* Solar Panels - capture energy to power our dairy farm and CowPots production facility.
* Our corn fields are no-till - improving carbon sequestration from the soil.
* Recycling water - using well water to cool the milk then passing that tempered water to the cows.
* Methane digester - biogas produced from manure offsets the use of propane and heating oil.
* Nutrient Management Plan and Forestry Stewardship Plan - guides the activities at Freund's Farm for managing soil health and forest longevity.
* CowPots - exports excess nutrients from our sustainable farm to where they’re needed (your garden) and replaces non-renewable planting containers like plastic and peat.
UConn students put together a film showcasing the diversity of Connecticut agriculture. This video features how diversification supports our farm's sustainability goals.
Take a virtual farm tour. We are a real life dairy farming family. You can meet our baby calves, hear about our cows' diet, watch the milking robots, see what a cow Fitbit looks like and learn a bit about cow poop!
Theresa describes her culinary confections in the bakery, Rachel takes you through the greenhouse and Amanda describes the production and use of CowPots to meet their sustainability goals at Freund's Farm.
Forbes came to our dairy farm to feature how technology is important to cow care and producing high quality food on a modern dairy farm.